Nancy S. Caplan, Esquire

Nancy S. Caplan, Esquire
Bend Don't Break- Mediate!

Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Mutual Consent Divorce in Maryland- No Waiting Required (for Some).

There's been a change in Maryland law relating to divorce and separation. How does the process work?

If:

1.) The couple has no minor children; and
2.) The couple negotiated and signed a binding Property Settlement Agreement; and
3.) Neither party seeks to modify or challenge some or all of the Property Settlement Agreement; and
4.) Both parties attend the final divorce hearing;

Then:  You may file for divorce without having  to be physically separated in two separate residences for the one-year waiting period.

Mutual Consent Divorce is now part of the laws of Maryland. Beginning today, October 1, 2015, for the qualifying couples, the year of separation limbo is a thing of the past.


Many of my mediating couples come to me soon after making their decision to divorce or separate, anxious to promptly address the unknowns of the future, to “settle” the issues in the hopes of actually settling their very unsettled lives.  

If you are a couple who does not qualify, here's a news flash: There was never a required 1 year separation period to negotiate and sign a settlement.  Never.  The required 1 year separation period for those who do not qualify for Mutual Consent Divorce in Maryland pertains only to filing for the actual divorce.  Therefore if you don't qualify, that
doesn't mean you have to miss the true positive impact of this change in this new Mutual Consent law- that a prompt settlement is less costly both financially and emotionally.

The  1 year separation period had (and has for those who don't qualify for Mutual Consent Divorce) the unfortunate consequence of dragging out the negotiations increasing costs and conflict, by providing 12 months of opportunity for additional conflicts to aggravate the negotiations (think dating and social media as just one example) and aggravation means financial costs increase.  The Mutual Consent grounds for divorce in Maryland, carrying the promise of a fast divorce provides the parties with greater settlement incentive. Almost every divorcing person wants to reach “the other side” as soon as possible.   From a mediator’s perspective, increasing the incentive to settle is a positive development for the parties involved.   

Therefore whether you do qualify for the Mutual Consent Divorce in Maryland, or you don't qualify for the Mutual Consent Divorce in Maryland, the emotional and financial benefit to promptly facing the issues, settling the issues, reconstructing lives sooner rather than later, is a worthy goal.   


5 comments:

  1. Hi everyone! So excited my husband is back after a break up !
    My husband broke up with me last week, i was so frustrated and i could not know what next to do again, i love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him broke up with me so that he can be able to get marry to the other lady and this lady i think use witchcraft on my husband to make him hate me and my kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for,I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to get back my man until i went to NY to see a friend and who was having the same problem with me but she latter got her Husband back and i asked her how she was able to get her husband back and she told me that their was a powerful spell caster in Africa name Dr.Unity that he help with love spell in getting back lost lover back, and i decided to contacted the same Dr.Unity and he told me what is needed to be done for me to have my man back and i did it although i doubted it but i did it and the Dr told me that i will get the result after 48hours, and he told me that my husband was going to call me by 9pm in my time and i still doubted his word, to my surprise my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God! i was so happy, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one good family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity of Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that good spell casters still exist and Dr.Unity is one of the good spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are there and your lover is turning you down, or you have your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore contact the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity on his email: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .if you have any problem contact Dr.Unity, I guarantee you that he will help you. Thank you sooooo much Dr Unity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sharing. Mutual consent divorce are just the best. Just made me remember about divorce mediation new York.
    Anyways, nice job done :)Commendable blog written

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your miracle Doctor Osemu Okpamen

    This article is dedicated to the Doctor Osemu Okpamen. I have been married with my wife for 5 years and recently she broke up with me and it hurt me deeply when she told me to leave her alone and that she does not love me anymore when i was always faithful and honest to her. I tried all the ways to get her back buying her what she wants like i always did and she still left me heart broken and she even has a new boyfriend which destroyed me even more until a friend of mine from high school directed me to this genuine spell Doctor called Osemu Okpamen. This man changed my life completely. I followed everything he told me to do and my wife came back begging for me back. I was stunned everything happened exactly like he told me. I had faith in everything he told me and everything was true. Also he was there every moment until i got my happiness back and he also provides spells that cures any diseases & sickness. You could contact him via email at { Doctorokpamenspelltemple@yahoo.com } or visit his website http://www.doctorokpamenspells.com or reach him on +1 (914)-517-3229, +2348135254384. He will help you in anything you need and quick to answer once you contact him.

    ReplyDelete